Church of the Good Shepherd - Lake Tekapo

The Church of the Good Shepherd is a tiny church by the side of Lake Tekapo, in Mackenzie Country, in the Canterbury region of the South Island, New Zealand.

Church at Lake Tekapo
Church of the Good Shepherd, Lake Tekapo

This small church now has fame due in part to the many international visitors to Lake Tekapo every year and no doubts also to the many thousands of photographs of its location.

It has a window with a view framing the lake and mountains.

An information board details the purpose of the church as follows (see image)

Church Information Board
Church of the Good Shepherd information board, Lake Tekapo

"This modest stone church was built firstly to the glory of God and secondly, as a memorial to the pioneers of the district.

Designed to give the impression of quiet strength and simplicity it embodies the essential qualities of the early settlers who endured the tough Mackenzie environment.

A place of worship, the church is available to all peoples to sit quietly, pray or meditate."

There is a plaque stone that commemorates the stone being laid that reads (see image)

Church Stone Plaque
Church of the Good Shepherd stone plaque, Mackenzie Country Pioneers

"Church of the Good Shepherd

To the Glory of God and in Memory of the Pioneers of the Mackenzie Country

This Stone was laid by H.R.H. The Duke of Gloucester

K.G. P.C. K.T. G.C.V.O.

16th January 1935

Cambell, Bishop W.E.D. Davies, Vicar"

Church of the Good Shepherd
Church of the Good Shepherd Front and Doorway, Lake Tekapo Church of the Good Shepherd side view and cross, Lake Tekapo